Monday, November 5, 2012

525,600 Minutes

One of my favorite songs is Seasons of Love from the broadway show Rent. It's one of those songs that just stort of makes you feel mushy inside (which, since I've been married, is not hard - I tend to get mushy all too easily). But this song in particular talks about how to measure a year (and to measure in love), which is most appropriate today as my husband and I celebrate our first wedding anniversary.

The biggest lie I have ever told was that I would never get married. And at the time, I was not lying! I was completely happy and content and could not imagine how another piece would fit into my puzzle (yes, MY puzzle). Then I met David. He is one of those people that you can actually feel the goodness when you first meet. You can see his positivity and kindess from a mile away, and he makes you want to be better person.  I knew pretty early on that I wanted to be with him forever. Still not completely sold on the idea of marriage, I would have been happy just being with him.

But luckily, he sold me on the whole marriage 'thing' and it was the best decision I have ever made. Our first year of marital bliss has not always been blissful - it is challenging and scary at times, but knowing that I have David by my side makes it all worth the wild ride. We have laughed, cried, and sometimes wanted to kill each other, but there is no one I would rather be with on life's journey.

David, thank you for choosing me. Thank you for allowing me to be yours. Thank you for loving me and always being patient and kind. Thank you for doing the laundry and making the bed. Thank you for cooking delicious meals and always giving me lunch money. Thank you for making me laugh, for wiping my tears, for listening to my rants about daily life and for being my family. Thank you for cuddling me when it's cold and setting our air conditioner timer when it's hot. Thank you for being a sexy beast. Thank you for teaching me to dance, for being brave enough to sing off key in public, and for helping me to be a better person.  Thank you for teaching me what it means to love fully.  Thank you for giving me the gift of marriage and the gift of you.

Happy anniversary, my love. There is nothing more I look forward to then spending all of my tomorrows with you.






2 comments: