Wednesday, March 14, 2012

Milestones & Memories

mile·stone[mahyl-stohn]
noun
1.  a stone functioning as a milepost
2.  a significant event or stage in the life, progress, development, or the like of a person, nation, etc.

I met my husband in 2008, and that year was filled with some other significant milestones. I am most reminiscent this week because it is my favorite holiday (St. Patrick’s Day) and the anniversary of one of the biggest events in my life (my run in with the big ‘C’).   
My New Year’s resolution that year was to be more social, date more frequently, and use different venues to meet people – to step out of my comfort zone in every way possible. On January 16, 2008, I met my husband. I had decided to attend a friend’s 30th birthday dinner where I would know absolutely no one and he was there when I arrived. He was dressed nicely, drinking a glass of red wine, and from across the room I knew that I wanted to get to know him better. Not a hippie by trade, but I always tell people because it’s true – I could see his aura and it was just wonderful, I knew he was a good person right away. I was like a fly to a bug zapper. We spoke the entire night, but he did not ask for my number. So I spent the next six months trying to see him again... Finally, David and I went on our first double date on July 26, 2008, we went on our first date alone together on August 31, 2008, and we decided not to date other people on December 18, 2008. I was a smitten kitten and remember all of these dates due to my obsessive nature, but also because they were milestones in my life.
My mother graduated from college on May 11, 2008, which happened to be Mother’s Day that year. I remember how overwhelmingly proud I was, and the inability to hold back joyous tears while she walked across that stage. Her smile is forever stuck in my mind, along with her amazing confidence while accepting her diploma. My sister got married on May 24, 2008. We sang karaoke and danced to 80’s music at her bachelorette party, and her tea party themed shower was such a beautiful day. I remember her wedding shoes and her gorgeous hair and makeup on 'the big day', but most importantly, the pure joy on her face when she said ‘I do’ and walked into the reception holding her husband’s hand.  Both of these milestones made 2008 an amazing year. Family really is everything.
I was diagnosed with melanoma on March 14, 2008. My dermatologist started the conversation talking about stages of cancer and how this was the best case scenario. I remember feeling my heart pounding out of my chest as I took notes on what she was saying, because the words were incomprehensible. It was a beautiful day and I walked home from work and had 20 minutes alone before telling anyone. Twenty minutes of denial and freedom. Twenty minutes before I had to repeat the information to others, making it a reality. My first surgery was April 3, 2008, the second was May 29, 2008, the third (and last) was August 19, 2008. And I fought back and ran my first marathon on October 26, 2008, supporting The Leukemia and Lymphoma Society. The feelings of achievement and exuberance as I crossed that finish line will forever be embedded in my mind. I will never forget the look of pride on my Dad’s face at the 26 mile mark and the tight hugs that I received from my family afterwards. 
The milestones in our lives make us who we are and can change us in the most dramatic ways. These are the life events that build everlasting memories. In this first year of marriage, we have tons of milestones because we have so many firsts! Our first long vacation together was our honeymoon and we will always remember the fun couple from Wyoming, the fabulous pina coladas and the smell of the delicious salt water. When we returned we opened our first joint bank account. We grieved our first big loss together and I will never forget listening as my husband received the bad news, then, as delicately as possible, passed it along to me. And we celebrated our first big job promotion with an amazing dinner that I can still taste. Four years later, I am reminiscent, but looking forward to new milestones with my new husband in our new life together.

No comments:

Post a Comment